Marxist Gunda Raj

published on August 30, 2008

Accused freed by Marxists held again

Pioneer News Service | Malappuram

A gang of CPI(M) and DYFI activists attacked the Kottakkal police station in Malappuram district in the wee hours of Saturday and freed a Marxist worker who had been accused in several cases but the police held him again within hours.

Hamdan, Elepparambu, Edarikkod, accused in at least two cases, was taken into custody by Saturday noon after he was freed by a 35-man gang of CPI(M)-DYFI activists at about 4.30 am. Three personnel, including a woman constable, were admitted to hospital with injuries suffered in the Marxist attack on the police station. Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said in Kannur that appropriate action would be taken against those who had attacked the police station.

During a patrol on early Saturday morning in the context of the violence at a Juma Masjid in the area which had resulted in the killing of two brothers on Friday, Kottakkal police Sub-Inspector MM Sadique had arrested Hamdan (23) in connection with a conflict occurred at Edarikkod between CPI(M) and Muslim workers on Thursday. After the Sub-Inspector left the police station at about 4.15 am, a CPI(M)-DYFI gang, led by two persons – Abdu and Siraj – attacked the police personnel present in the station and freed Hamdan.

Assistant Sub-Inspector Sadanandan, Head Constable Moosa and woman constable Philomena had been admitted to the taluk hospital in Thirurangadi. The gang had entered the police station breaking the collapsible gate of the building. Police intensified the search for those who attacked the station.

Hamdan was an accused in several cases including attacks on the Spencer Showroom at Edarikkod and on the members of the Edarikkod Grama Panchayath. SI Sadique had taken Hamdan in connection with the attack on the panchayath members on Thursday. A conflict had occurred between the Muslim League and the CPI(M) over the preparation of a resolution in Edarikkod panchayath over the controversial Class CII Social Science textbook.

Meanwhile, the police took five persons into custody in connection with the stabbing of two brothers to death at the Juma Masjid at Alinchuvadu near Kottakkal on Friday. Four were held on Friday and one on Saturday.

Two brothers, Abdu and Aboobacker, sons of Muhammad Haji, Pulikkal, were stabbed to death and fourteen others suffered injuries in the violence at the Juma Masjid at Aalinkunnu on Friday afternoon. The incident was the result of a conflict between two sections of the faithful who had come to the mosque for the Juma Namaz.

Abdu had died at a private hospital in Kottakkal while Aboobacker succumbed to stab injuries at the Medical College Hospital, Kozhikode. District Superintendent of Police P Vijayan had launched an inquiry into the incident. A large number of police personnel were still posted at the mosque to avoid any further violence.

The violence was the result of a conflict between two sections over the control of the Mahallu committee. Pulikkal Muhammad Haji, who had been the president of the Mahallu Committee for the past several years, had recently stepped down from the post following complaints and protests from one section. The issue had been live for the past many days in the mosque and the Mahallu. The police said this had led to the tension on Friday.


Welcome to Haindava Keralam! Register for Free or Login as a privileged HK member to enjoy auto-approval of your comments and to receive periodic updates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 characters available


Latest Articles from Kerala Focus

Did You Know?