Chargesheet filed against 22 Kerala terrorists

via - VR Jayaraj | Kannur published on January 21, 2009

The special anti-terror
squad of the Kerala Police on Wednesday filed the chargesheet in the
case relating to terrorist activities in the State exactly at the end
of the 90-day mandatory period, as NDF activist Abdul Jaleel of Kannur,
who was the first man to be arrested in the hunt for terror operatives,
was granted bail as he had completed 90 days in captivity. At the same
time, a two-member team of the Kerala Police left for Hyderabd on
Wednesday to interrogate Malayalee terrorist Abdul Sattar alias
Sainuddeen, who was arrested on Monday by the Andhra Pradesh Police.

Superintendent of Police VK Akbar, who held the charge of the
anti-terrorist squad probe into the extremist network in Kerala,
submitted the chargesheet before the Additional Chief Judicial
Magistrate, Thalassery against 22 accused. These persons included the
13 arrested since mid-October by the anti-terror squad, the four
Malayalee extremists killed in encounters in Kashmir in early October
and five absconders.

Akbar said that the chargesheet had
leveled crimes under 12 sections of the law against the accused which
included those concerning terrorist activities, sabotage, anti-national
operations, conspiracy, forgery, operations against the unity and
integrity of the country as well as secularism. The accused included
arrested persons Abdul Jaleel, Muhammad Faizal, Mujeeb, Abdul Jabbar,
Nainar Ali, Feroze, Badaruddin and Nawas.

The absconders
included Nazeer of Neerchal, Kannur, Ibrahim Moulvi of Vellamunda,
Wayanad, both of whom were supposed to be the top recruiters of
operatives from Kerala, Sajir alias Ayub, who with his direct
connections with Lashkar-e-Tayyeba was said to be the chief coordinator
of the top-level terror operators and Shafas.

The police
included in the chargesheet as accused the names of the four Malayalee
extremists who were killed in encounters with the security forces in
Lolab Valley, Kupwara, Kashmir in the first and second weeks of
October. They were Muhammad Faiz, Muhammad Fayaz (both from Kannur),
Abdul Raheem of Parappanangadi, Malappuram and Muhammad Yasin alias
Varghese Joseph of Chakkarapparambu, Kochi.

Additional CJM VK
Rajan, meanwhile, granted bail on Wednesday on the completion of ninety
days since his arrest. Jaleel, an NDF activist who had kept telephonic
contacts with the extremists who were killed by security forces in
Kashmir, was arrested on October 19 from his house in Edakkad, Kannur.

He was the first person to be arrested in the hunt for extremist
elements in the State ever since the Jammu & Kashmir Police and the
Central Intelligence Bureau alerted the Kerala Police about the four
Malayalees killed on the India-Pak border. It was Jaleel’s arrest which
had led to several other arrested, including that of Muhammad Faizal,
who had been directly involved in inducting people into the LeT terror

Meanwhile, DySP Shoukath and Circle Inspector Vikraman
from the anti-terror squad of the Kerala Police left for Hyderabad to
question Abdul Sattar alias Sainuddeen, who was arrested in the Andhra
Pradesh capital on Monday by the counter-terrorism wing of the police
there. The two officials left for Hyderabad as per the information
provided by the Andhra Pradesh Police. He was produced in the court on

Sources in the State police said that he had admitted
his role in the various blasts that occurred in the country last year
and that he himself had designed most of these bombs. According to
information from the Andhra Pradesh Police, Sattar had been taking the
young terror recruits from Kerala to the LeT training camps in
Hyderabad and sending them to Pakistan after preliminary training.
Information about Sattar was given by Abdul Jabbar of Malappuram, the
other terror operative arrested in Hyderabad earlier.

As per
the investigations by the Intelligence Bureau and the various State
police forces, Sattar, a native of Karuvankallu, Kondotty, Malappuiram,
was the one of the chief operatives of the Indian Mujahiddeen in south
India. He was one of the prime accused in the case relating to the
close-to 100 pipe bombs seized from Vengara, Malappuram in 1995.
Sattar, known as an expert in electronics, had been absconding for the
past 13 years.

Welcome to Haindava Keralam! Register for Free or Login as a privileged HK member to enjoy auto-approval of your comments and to receive periodic updates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available


Latest Articles from Kerala Focus

Did You Know?