12 year old ‘Sunday School’ girl murdered, IG interrogates priests

published on October 30, 2010

 IG Sreelekha visits ACCEPT, interrogates priests


ALAPPUZHA: Crime Branch IG R Sreelekha on Friday interrogated the priests, nuns and the maid of the ACCEPT Counselling and Aftercare Centre, functioning under the Archdiocese of Chaganassery, in connection with the death of Shreya, 12, who was found dead in a pond on the premises of the centre on October 17.

Seelekha also visited the parents of Shreya. Later, she told Express that she visited Shreya’s home and ACCEPT according to the direction of DGP Jacob Punnoose. Shreya’s parents had lodged a complaint with Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan on October 25 demanding a detailed inquiry into the case.

It was following this that the Chief Minister handed over the case to DGP Jacob Punnoose. Shreya, daughter of Benny, Ezharaparayil, Kaithavana, a standard seven student, went to ACCEPT along with her 67 classmates of Sunday School to attend a twoday camp organised by a team of the Archdiocese of Changanassery.

Though the local police, led by Alappuzha South CI V K Sanal Kumar, have been conducting an investigation into the incident, they have not been able to solve the mystery that shrouds the death of the girl.

Though the police claimed that Shreya purposefully came out of her room on October 16, the police still have no idea how she went to the pond which is around 100 metres away from her room.

Meanwhile, Sr Sneha, the nun who stayed with Shreya along with 10 other girls on the night of October 16, told Express that their room had no proper lock and Shreya was sleeping near the door. “We came to know that Shreya was missing only around 6.45 a.m. on October 17”, Sr Sneha said.

She said that the maid at the centre, who was staying alone in a room, had sent a missed call to ACCEPT assistant director Fr Mathukutty after she noticed the dogs barking.

“Following this, Fr Mathukutty came to our room and enquired about the children. However, I told him that nothing was wrong as I was unaware that Shreya was missing,” Sr Sneha said.

Meanwhile, a priest said that a person had informed the centre that he had seen Shreya’s father near the centre around midnight on October 16.

Welcome to Haindava Keralam! Register for Free or Login as a privileged HK member to enjoy auto-approval of your comments and to receive periodic updates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 characters available

five × five =


Latest Articles from Kerala Focus

Did You Know?