BJP delegation report on Assam communal riots30/07/2012 23:03:18
New Delhi: 27 July :2012: Friday. All India General Secretary of BJP Vijay Goel lead a high-level delegation consisting of All India General Secretary Smt. Kiran Maheshwari, Bijoy Chakrabarty National Vice President, Dilip Moran and Ranit Dass, Fanindra Dass MLAs from Assam, Ajit kumar Bhattacharya Organisation general secretary from Assam and Debashish Sur senior Advocate to Kokrajhar and Chirang districts along with their surrounding areas to find the facts on 24-25 July. The team visited the affected areas along with the relief camps in the concerned areas. The team on their return to Delhi gave their reports and first hand accounts of their visit to senior leadership.
The delegation in Assam met representatives from the Bodo Community, BATD office bearers, minority community representatives, All Assam Bodo Student Union, Koch Rajvanshi student union, Bengali student federation and displaced people living in the relief camps. Shri Goel has straight forwardly said that had the Assam Government and Tarun Gogoi in particular taken adequate and required preventive steps in time this carnage could very well been prevented.
Shri Goel reiterated the following main points;
- Two people from Muslim community were killed on 6 July and two more were injured on 19 July. Those guilty were never identified but was considered that Bodos were behind these killings. Atmosphere became tense due to these apprehensions by the minority community regarding the Bodos and as the tension prevailed, on 20 July 4 Bodos were killed. Bodos say that they had no hand in the incidents of 6 and 19 July and that situation had not gone out of hand had the culprits nabbed in time.
- Chief Minister of Assam and the Government of Assam never took any preventive steps due to their own indecisive ness. They were having Bodo Peoples Front on one hand as their coalition partner and on the other hand, illegal Muslim population from Bangladesh forms their core vote bank forcing Tarun Gogoi to maintain the silence.
- Tarun Gogoi has claimed that there is politics behind the carnage and one of them seemingly can be his deputies wanting his removal.
- Biggest politics seemingly is the statement of CM that Bangladesh or Bangladeshis have got nothing to do with this violent carnage.
- The people we met at the Kokrajhar relief camps said that these illegal migrants from Bangladesh are very well armed and that they have driven the indigenous people out of their homes. Mrinal Hazarika has claimed that three boats laden with arms have come from outside and that this claim should be looked into.
- Deputy Comissioner of Chirang District Dr. V.P Boker said that he is helpless.
- Bodo Peoples Front has also stated emphatically that timely action could have prevented the carnage.
- The complete issue has illegal Bangladeshi migrants at its core as an issue.
Shri Goel has stated that uptil now the atmosphere is tense and that violence is still continuing. More than three lakh people have been displaced, over 4000 villages have been affected, 75 relief camps are more than 50 have died so far with trains being stopped adding up the panic quotient.
Shri Goel demanded that.
- Number of Military and Para Military forces is not enough and should be increased.
- Army is patrolling only major roads but to build the confidence of people at large they should be moved to interiors in small groups.
- This being the season for rice and paddy sowing in the state and if this gets delayed both tillers and farmers will have to face dire consequences, as this is the only crop that is yielded here.
- It would have been better that he being the Prime Minister; Manmohan Singh should have gone to Assam with an all-party delegation.
- Relief camps are namesake only and that facilities such as medication, food, treatments, shelters are there only in name, and that these basics should be adequately arranged for.
- All arms must be immediately confiscated.
- Indo- Bangladesh border must be immediately sealed as reports are continuously pouring in that speedboats are bringing in supplies of arms from across the border. Vigil must be maintained on religious places so that arms are not kept there.
- Failure of intelligence gathering institutions should also be looked into.
- Adequate protection for Indigenous people of Assam should be provided.
- CM Tarun Gogoi should submit his resignation from the post of CM.